On 2 July, United Nations Member States are invited to a special briefing on violence against children amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
This briefing is organized by the End Violence Partnership, the European Union Delegation to the United Nations, the Permanent Missions of Colombia, France, Japan, Jordan and Uruguay, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Violence Against Children (SRSG-VAC), and UNICEF. It will highlight how efforts to contain COVID-19 are exposing children to increased risk of violence, particularly among those that were already vulnerable.
In addition, high-level speakers will share the challenges countries have faced while protecting children from violence and identify actions they have taken to address those challenges. Speakers will also present recommendations to protect children, highlighting ways to take such practices forward at the United Nations and national levels. Importantly, this event is taking place ahead of the United Nations High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, which is planned for July 2020.
DATE & TIME
8:30 am – 10:00 am EDT / 14:30 – 16:00 CET
At this event, you will hear from:
- Ambassador Silvio Gonzato, Deputy Head of Delegation, Delegation of the European Union to the United Nations
- Ambassador Carlos Amorín, Permanent Representative of Uruguay to the United Nations
- A representative of the Government of France (TBC)
- Ambassador Guillermo Fernández de Soto, Permanent Representative of Colombia to the United Nations
- Ambassador Kimihiro Ishikane, Permanent Representative of Japan to the United Nations
- Ambassador Sima Bahous, Permanent Representative of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to the United Nations
- Najat Maalla M’jid, Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Violence Against Children
- Cornelius Williams, Associate Director, Child Protection, UNICEF
This event will be moderated by Dr Howard Taylor, the Executive Director of the End Violence Partnership.