Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University is one of India’s premier teaching and research institutions, registered in the year 2003 under section three of UGC Act 1956. Founded by the world-renowned humanitarian, Sri Mata Amritanandamayi Devi, the multi-campus university was established to provide rigorous academic instruction in an ambience rooted in India’s cultural and spiritual heritage.
Amrita has 15 schools across five campuses (Coimbatore, Tamilnadu; Amritapuri and Kochi, Kerala; Bangaluru and Mysore, Karnataka) and offers 150+ degree programmes in a variety of disciples such as Engineering, Business, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, Ayurveda Biotechnology, Arts and Sciences, Education, Communication and Journalism and Social Work at the UG, PG, and Doctoral levels. Amrita has approximately 18,000 students and 1,750 faculty members, 600 of whom are PhD DM holders.
A key aspect of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham is its dedication to bring about change in all levels of society. In this regard, the university puts a great deal of phases on research and the development of innovative technology. Amrita regularly collaborates with major government, industry and agencies in India like MHRD, MoWCD, TIFAC, DST, CMR, ISRO, DRDO, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, Media Lab Asia, Infosys and others.
Amrita has established international collaborative initiatives with over 75 world-leading institutions in the U.S., Europe, Australia and Japan with extensive faculty and student exchanges and cross-continental research projects. In addition, Amrita has welcomed over 500 international distinguished guest lecturers and adjunct faculty, including Nobel Laureates Dr Mhhammad Yunus, Dr Martin Chalfie and Dr Leland Hartwell.
Amrita Research Centres:
- Centre for Excellence in Humanities: in the fall of 2016, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham and UNESCO inaugurated India’s first-ever Chair on Gender Equality and Women Empowerment. The UNESCO Chair will further the Centre’s goals and promote international, inter-university cooperation and networking to enhance institutional capacities and collaborative work
- AMMACH Labs: Amrita Multi-Model Applications Using Computer & Human Interaction: Ammachi Labs is an academic and research centre at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham that brings an interdisciplinary approach to addressing societal challenges. We create innovative educational tools and skills development solutions to help uplift entire communities. In our commitment to rural villages of India – the very communities that stand to benefit the most from skill development – we are as excited about our continuing development of community outreach solutions as we are about our focused R & D for CHI, robotics and automation, haptic technologies and applied robotics.
- Amrita Centre for Humanitarian Operations and Management (ACHOM) aims to study the organizational, managerial and behavioural issues pertaining to preparedness, response, relief, recovery, rehabilitation and reconstruction to better understand the operational intricacies and build humanitarian operations body of knowledge.
- Tribal Empowerment Centre of Excellence: In October 2018, The Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India, awarded Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham the title of ‘Centre of Excellence in Tribal Empowerment through Digital Inclusion in recognition of its significant work to uplift India’s tribal people in the fields of education, health and e-literacy.
- Amrita Centre for Economics and Governance (ACEG) is a multi-disciplinary research network with a focus on economic analysis of development episodes and design and evaluation of innovative public policies and governance regimes. The recent revival of interest among economist in public policy and governance is not random: it has deep theoretical underpinnings. New growth economists have challenged the market-driven predictions of neoclassical economist that countries will converge in growth and income distribution.
- Amrita Centre for Responsible Innovation and Sustainable Enterprises (ARISE) brings together researchers and practitioners from a variety of disciplines to better understand and promote social innovation, social entrepreneurship, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) practices for creating responsible enterprises that live sustainability through promoting environmental, social and community well-being.
- Amrita Centre for Child Protection established in 2016 an initiative that propagates the spirit of UNCRC, believing and articulating the four pillars of Child Rights and Child Protection such as survival, security, development and participation of children. The centre’s activities are being supported by UNICEF Chennai office in Tamilnadu viii. United Nations Democratic Fund (UNDEF) from 2012- 2014 USD 350,000. This programme supported for the two programmes i. Empowerment of Women in India through Innovative Vocational Education and Training to empower 3,000 impoverished women with the ability to participate in the democratic process and to strengthen their capacity to make decisions at an individual, family, and community level through Computerized Vocational and Educational Training (CVET) and through social and democratic empowerment with Life Enrichment Education (LEE) from 2012- 2014 USD 350,000
- Empowering Women to become Champions of Sanitation in India 2017-2019 USD 242,000. This project aims to empower women to become champions of sanitation by providing them with a platform for democratic participation and a support network of advocacy self-help groups. The project operates in 21 states of India through the implementation of leadership and communication training, community-led sanitation campaign initiatives and actions mobilizing 5000 women as change agents. For further details and national and international collaboration, please visit: www.amrita.edu
Amrita has been ranked the Number One Private University in India and eighth among other universities as per the National Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2019 of Indian Universities by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. It was accredited with the highest grade of “A” by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) and is increasingly being recognized internationally as an institute of repute. Recently, our university is being recommended by the University Grants Commission for Institution of Eminence (IOE) status.