Pathfinder Roadmap - Sweden
The Swedish Government's ambition is to promote and implement the vision and the goals of the Global Partnership. As a Pathfinder country, Sweden will undertake both strategic and immediate measures against exploitation and violence against children in three particular areas:
1. To increase knowledge on violence against children including information developed especially for and by children
The Swedish government will increase its efforts to ensure that knowledge on violence against children is further developed and better communicated to the ones who need it, including the children themselves. Examples of this are: On behalf of the Swedish government a national knowledge centre has established, “Barnafrid”, with the mission to collect and spread knowledge about violence and other abuse of children to professionals who in their work meet children. The National Board of Health and Children's Ombudsman has been commissioned by the Swedish government to developed a national web site with information adapted to children and young people about social services and what social services will offer children and young people in need of assistance and protection. And the Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority has produced information for children and young people as victims.
2. Develop and invest in the social protection system for children
The Swedish government will develop and strengthen the social protection system for children both by increasing competence and knowledge but also reinforcing staffing. It's about professional introduction for social workers, training and money to municipalities to hire more social workers. To develop and invest in the welfare state not least in the interest of the most vulnerable children.
3. A roadmap to protect children from human trafficking, exploitation and sexual abuse
Only a few weeks ago the Swedish government adopted a road map as a pathfinder country: the Action Plan to protect children from human trafficking, exploitation and sexual abuse for 2016–2018.
Some of the key goals of the proposed measures are:
- No children to be the victims of human trafficking.
- No children to be the victims of sexual abuse or exploitation, either in Sweden or through travel and tourism.
- All children victims of human trafficking, sexual abuse or exploitation to receive the protection and support they need.
- Promoting children’s awareness of their right to protection and giving them knowledge to counteract their vulnerability.
- Enhancing the protection of children in situations in which children can be particularly vulnerable.
Sweden will achieve these goals by increasing the efficiency and coordination of the government agencies affected; develop the knowledge and skills in these areas as well as to prevent and prosecute crimes against children and, finally, give children appropriate support when they need it.